• DR. BOB and the Good Oldtimers (Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.,1980)
• The Runner’s Bible, by Nora Smith Holm (1915)
• The Holy Bible, King James Version
• Alcoholics Anonymous, 1st ed. (Works Publishing Company, 1939)
• Good Morning!: Quiet Time, Morning Watch, Meditation, and Early A.A., by Dick B.
• By the Power of God: A Guide to Early A.A. Groups and Forming Similar Groups Today, by Dick B.
• The Good Book and The Big Book: A.A.’s Roots in the Bible, by Dick B.
• Why Early A.A. Succeeded: The Good Book in Alcoholics Anonymous Yesterday and Today (A Bible Study Guide for AAs and other 12 Steppers), by Dick B.
[Except when otherwise indicated, the references are to Dick B., Why Early A.A. Succeeded: The Good Book in Alcoholics Anonymous Yesterday and Today.]
An Understanding of Almighty God, Yahweh, Our Creator
God either is or he isn’t (Big Book, 3rd ed., p. 53; Shoemaker, Confident Faith, p. 187)
The Fool hath said in his heart. . . (Psalm 14:1), also, title by OG’s Beverley Nichols
Dr. Bob: If you are an atheist or agnostic, I feel sorry for you (Big Book, 3rd ed., 181)
Big Book (3rd ed.) so refers to Him 12 times (See Why Early A.A. Succeeded, p. 51)
For some Bible references to God as Creator (ibid., p. 51)
Our Creator offers us a relationship with Him (ibid., pp. 52-55)
Our Creator was, in the Good Book, clearly identified, known, and understood
Bill specifically referred to Almighty over 400 times in the 3rd ed. (ibid., pp. 55-6)
There is but one God (ibid., pp. 57, 70)
There is no other God like Him (ibid., pp. 71-2)
The Bible draws a clear line between idols and our Creator (Psalm 115)
God has a personal name - Yahweh–YHWH in the texts (ibid, pp. 61-6)
"This is my name for all time" (ibid., p. 65)
Correctly so translated in the Jerusalem Bible (ibid, p. 65)
There are many Bible verses that enable us understand Yahweh - Almighty God, Maker, is in heaven, Spirit, not a man, invisible, love, light–and many more (ibid., pp. 66-69)